View Recorded Webinar- Hiring for a Food Safety & Quality Role
Kellerman Consulting and MANTEC partnered for a one-hour webinar covering the topic of hiring for a food safety and/or quality role. The webinar focused on:
- How to interview applicants.
- What to look for in a job applicant.
- Disqualifying as part of the interview process.
Issues Filling QA Roles
- Most QA professionals do not intend to go into QA
- QA is technically sophisticated, scientific and requires concentration on tedious information
- Companies do not like to pay for QA, QA professionals do not like to work for low pay
- Some facility locations are rural (it is hard to attract and retain qualified QA personnel)
What to Look for in an Applicant
- What job histories we are looking for
- What red flags we are looking for
- Inspections, Audits, and Regulatory/Certification Interface Experience
Ideal QA Skills
- Could take over for any production employee
- Could re-write the HACCP/ Preventive Controls plan (if a food facility).
- Knows the difference between a Correction and Corrective Action
- Knows every Preventive Action added to the system
- Walks the floor constantly
- Knows every employee by name
Traits Needed for QA
Personality Traits for QA (need to have)
Personality Traits for QA (nice to have)
How to Interview
- Do your research – Customize your questions to the applicant’s work history
- Tell them the worst parts of the job and find out if they are accepting of those issues
- Discuss the technical specifics
- Internet search for the person after the interview – do not stalk, just check
- During the interview process make sure to ask questions that get to potential areas of concern.
- Don’t just try to sell yourself or the company.